Summer Must-Dos to Add to Your Delaware Bucket List
One more reason to love Dogfish Head, state fair shenanigans and more.
BONUS BUCKET ITEM: Since this weekend has passed, so has one of our stellar Bucket List items. But thanks to National Geographic Adventure Blog “Beyond the Edge,” we’ve got a great addition. National Geographic wants you to fly high with the seagulls to experience the Delaware coast from a perspective like no other with Dewey Beach Parasailing. Read more here.
1. Blue Ribbon Winner – There’s a week’s worth of family fun to be had at the Delaware State Fair starting July 17. With carnival games, amusement park rides, tons of delicious food vendors, and live entertainment by Lady Antebellum and Train, this is one event that you will not want to miss. The theme is ‘American Classic’ making this the best opportunity to continue your patriotic celebrations even after the Fourth of July.
2. Get a Case of Jungle Fever – Give climbing a tree a whole new meaning and zip-line from the treetops instead! Go Ape Treetop Adventure Course gives guests the opportunity to explore Lums Pond State Park near Newark from above with a zip-line and Tarzan-swinging obstacle course. Challenge yourself this summer and take a swing.
3. A New Kind of B&B – Spend an off-centered night in the new Dogfish Craft Brewery Inn, set to open this month. The fan-favorite brewery is giving “B&B” a whole new meaning by adding “beer” to the bed & breakfast staple. Each brewery-themed room will be fully stocked with custom Dogfish Head glassware and beer soap, delivering the same off-centered experience found at the brewery in Milton.
4. Do’s and Don’ts of the du Ponts – Find out what happened before Wall Street and witness the impact of the du Pont family on the world of modern American business. The Hagley Museum and Library offers tours both inside the house and out, as ‘Bike and Hike’ tours cover the vast grounds and are available through August.
5. Get the Scoop at UDairy Creamery – Do not let the summer go by without tasting the famous ice cream from the UDairy Creamery. The dairy supports the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the University of Delaware and was recently awarded the ‘Best Sundae on Sunday’ by the Food Network (click here for details on when the episode will air). Known for its rich, high-quality milk, the creamery’s ice cream gives a summertime favorite a boost in flavor.
6. Dolphin/Whale Watching Cruises at Fisherman’s Wharf – Forget SeaWorld and get up close and personal with marine life on the Dolphin and Whale Watching Cruise at Fisherman’s Wharf. Docked at the drawbridge in Lewes, the boat sets sail in Delaware Bay, while trained crew members guide guests’ views of whales, dolphins, migratory birds and historic sites.
7. On Your Mark, Get Set, Go! – Running shoes and red bandanas are all that is needed at The Starboard’s annual Running of the Bull in Dewey Beach July 12. In traditional American fashion, we’ve taken a European idea and Americanized it—set at the same time as the Festival of San Fermin in Pamplona, Spain, this Running of the Bull is held on Dewey Beach with folks wearing a bull costume. Same thrill, just safer circumstances. - Sorry you missed this one, keep an eye on The Starboard's website for 2014 recap and 2015 details.