Making Strides Across The Delmarva Peninsula
More Than 10,000 Walkers Expected
Half of all newly diagnosed breast cancer patients turn to the American Cancer Society for help. “That’s an incredible responsibility and gets to the heart of why volunteers walk in Making Strides.
The American Cancer Society’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer is a movement. It’s a chance to become part of something bigger. To stand with thousands of others in Delmarva and walk in October so that we can all say, ‘breast cancer does not win,’” says Teresa Young, state vice president of the American Cancer Society.
Instead, the community will win, by walking and providing more help for women with breast cancer; by fighting for better access to breast cancer screening and treatment.
Making Strides helps raise funds to fight back against breast cancer. Women, men and children—individuals and entire families—participate in Making Strides Against Breast Cancer. Their motivations include reasons such as:
- A loved one has breast cancer or is a survivor.
- In memory of someone they’ve lost.
- They believe in the American Cancer Society and want to raise money to find a cure.
Here’s what some of the money raised by Making Strides Against Breast Cancer can provide:
- $130 pays for a wig for a woman losing her hair from chemotherapy
- $250 pays for lodging at Hope Lodge in Baltimore for patients who need to travel for treatment
- $2,000 covers the supplies, space and manpower necessary for one week of cancer research—the very research that will help us end breast cancer.
Today, the American Cancer Society is supporting more than 230 grants with $82 million to find the answers that will help save lives. Please join the Delmarva Peninsula community for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer this October.
Thank you to these outstanding Flagship Sponsors for Delmarva’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer:
Ocean City Flagships
Cpt. Steve Harman’s Poor Girls Open
Beebe Medical Center/Tunnell Cancer Center
Nanticoke Health Services
Diagnostic Imaging Associates
Papastavros Medical Imaging
Did You Know That Making Strides:
- Is the largest network of breast cancer awareness events in the nation, uniting more than 270 communities to fund the fight?
- Walkers raise more than $60 million for the American Cancer Society each year to save lives from breast cancer?
- Walks are three to five miles? Each step brings us closer to finding cures.
- Is your chance to join the American Cancer Society and thousands in your community to change the course of breast cancer forever?
Is helping 2.6 million breast cancer survivors in the U.S. celebrate another birthday this year?