Cooch’s Bridge Commemorates First Use of American Flag in Battle
Dedicated in 1901, the monument was the brainchild of Elizabeth Clarke Churchman and still stands today.
photo courtesy of the Delaware Historical Society (dehistory.org)
The dedication of Cooch’s Bridge occurred on Sept. 3, 1901, on the anniversary of the Battle at Cooch’s Bridge. The monument, the brainchild of Elizabeth Clarke Churchman, state regent of the Daughters of the American Revolution, was erected to commemorate the first use of the stars and stripes in battle. The monument was unveiled by two children who were seventh-generation descendants of Revolutionary War soldiers. It still stands today.