Cathi Hodgins’ kitchen, that’s what. The designer finally renovated her favorite room. It was worth the wait.
(page 5 of 6)
Growing up in an artistic family, she has always appreciated art and antiques. She found the Belgian screen depicting a seascape, painted in the 14th century, in the basement of an antique dealer who was a family friend.
A gifted artist herself, Hodgins paints watercolors and makes pottery. She also welds whimsical sculptures from found objects. In one flight of fancy, rusted shovels are reborn as wings on a goose.
Verdant landscapes of forests in her native Canada hang in the master bedroom, along with a scene of Venice in the 1850s, positioned so that it is the first sight she sees in the morning.
“It makes me happy to wake up and look at beautiful things,” she says.
The master suite is Hodgins’ latest project. Swathed in restful tones of pale blue, the serene retreat includes a sumptuous marble bath, walk-in closet and a sitting area with a desk, an essential piece of furniture for a creative spirit.
“If I wake up in the wee hours with an idea, I start drawing immediately,” she says. “I can’t wait to get it down on paper.”
GET THE LOOK
- Splurge on a show-stopper, especially an element that will be part of your home for many years to come. Cathi Hodgins indulged in a rare species of gorgeous granite for her kitchen countertops.
- Surround yourself with colors that spark a positive emotional vibe. For insights into what hues suit you best, explore your closet and note which clothes make you feel comfortable and confident.
- Lighten up. High ceilings, expanses of windows and pale walls, ceilings and floors all make a home feel lighter and brighter.
- Show your artistic side. Hodgins enjoys her collection of Canadian landscapes and a painted screen dating back to the 14th century, as well as metal sculptures she welded from found objects such as broken, rusty tools.
- Take your time. Don’t feel pressed to make major renovations until you have lived with the house and can come up with a great plan that suits your lifestyle.
Page 6: See Hodgins' kitchen before the renovation...