The Fried Chicken
1. In Wilmington, Walt’s Flavor Crisp Chicken Express (Little Italy, 429-2587) upholds the legacy of the original Walt’s Flavor Crisp on Vendever Avenue.
2. Rumor has it that a similar recipe is the reason for the lines at Johnnie’s Dog House & Chicken Shack in Brandywine Hundred (North Wilmington, 477-1440).
3. Like the original restaurant in Bridgeville, all the Jimmy’s Grille locations (Bridgeville, 337-7575; Dewey Beach, 260-9914; Rehoboth Beach, 227-4888) are known for fried chicken. The slogan is “Peace, Love and Chicken.”
4. Kick n’ Chicken (Lewes, 644-4151; Long Neck, 947-1110) nixes frozen chicken for fresh, which gets a bath in a seasoned batter.
5. Lettie’s Kitchen (Hockessin, 239-7816) is famous for broasted chicken, which incorporates pressure cooking to produce moist meat. The coating is wonderfully crisp.