Delaware Bride: Red Lipstick Tips
Red lipstick on your big day? Say, I do.
- Covergirl Queen Collection Lipcolor in “See Red.” Find it at Walgreens. It's beautiful on all women of color.
- Russian Red by MAC is available at maccosmetics.com, and at the local MAC. This shade will give you a glamorous, 1950s feel. Think Marilyn Monroe.
- Ruby Woo by MAC is available at maccosmetics.com, or to get it even faster, go to your local MAC counter. A matte red shade that looks great on any skin tone.
- Super Lustrous Creme Lipstick by Revlon in the shade Revlon Red. Find it at Target. You'll love the creamy consistency it has. This lipstick will leave your lips very moisturized, and well … lustrous. Pair this shade with a winged liner for a classic look.
Makeup artist: Chanel Halsey, glamorousfacesbychanel.com
Red is the perfect color for a wedding, adding an air of elegance and sophistication that makes a strong, confident statement. While it may not be for everyone, red can be classic, beautiful and romantic, or seductive, powerful and strong depending on the shade and the person wearing it.
If the bride is wearing red lipstick the bridesmaids should be toned down to a softer, sheerer color. Every bridesmaid should be matched to a softer lip color that suits her complexion. Their looks should compliment the bride without overpowering her.
If you want to rock a super-chic old Hollywood look down the aisle, a glamorous red lip is key, and choosing the right shade can be the difference between red carpet ready and a box office flop. See below for your red-hot lip color guide, courtesy of the folks at Houppette in Wilmington.
There is no hard and fast rule. Here are some guidelines:
- Fair/cool-toned complexions (think Kelly Osbourne) look best in “pinkier” reds and soft berries. Houppette recommends Too Faced’s aptly named Stiletto Red La Crème Lip Color.
- Fair/warm complexions like Kate Hudson’s look great in coral hues of red. Laura Mercier’s Passion Lip Colour Crème is a great option.
- Medium skins with cooler undertones should wear a cherry or a plum red. Jessica Simpson could rock Icon Femme Rouge by Hourglass.
- Medium/warm skin tones like Jennifer Lopez’s look gorgeous in warm brick and orange-hued reds. Raven Femme Rouge by Hourglass is a super chic choice for this skin type.
- Darker/cooler complexions (think Jennifer Hudson) would look great in Laura Mercier’s Bing Cherry Lip Colour Crème—a rich, deep red with an eggplant undertone.
- Darker/warmer skins wear a true fire engine red beautifully. Tyra Banks would look great in Laura Mercier’s Truly Red Lip Colour Crème.
Not sure which red to choose? Try on a few—and some reds such as Laura Mercier’s Seduction Lip Colour Crème work well with most skin tones. The best advice is to try on a red and make sure the rest of your look is in line with your classic, old Hollywood vibe—think luscious curly/wavy hair, red-hued nails and lots of red roses. Have fun and be confidant, and the aisle will be your red carpet.
In the Heat
How to keep your glamorous red lips from becoming a hot mess on your special day:
- Always wear a lip primer such as Too Faced’s Lip Insurance, and a coordinating lip liner/clear anti-feathering pencil to help the color stay put and prevent feathering.
- Keep the rest of your makeup in mind when wearing red lips—balance is key. Keep cheek color soft and in a similar undertone to the lip; keep eyes classic and clean, or if going with a smoky eye, keep the colors fairly neutral.
- Keep lips conditioned in the days leading up to your event. Red does not work over cracked lips.
- A wash of red can be a subtler, pretty option too. Choose a red-toned lip gloss if you want to hint at red without going full on.
There are no hard and fast rules, and trying on with the help of a good makeup artist is the easiest way to pick the perfect red for your skin tone and for the occasion.