Old Christ Church at Chipman's Pond Near Laurel Continues to Hold Service
A history lesson of Laurel in the 1890s, featuring the Old Christ Church at Chipman's Pond
Laurel | 1890s
Old Christ Church at Chipman’s Pond, near Laurel, was built by Robert Houston in 1771. Made completely of yellow pine, the church has not been altered over the course of its lifetime, and is illustrative of Colonial church architecture. The church was active until St. Philip’s Episcopal Church was built in 1848. Today the church holds services on the first Sunday of the month from June to September, and on special occasions.
photo courtesy of the Delaware Historical Society (dehistory.org)