Looking Toward Nantucket
The Carters favored a timeless New England style when they turned their humble garage into an inviting seaside cottage.
(page 4 of 4)
- Go natural. Materials provided by Mother Nature—from teak floors to alabaster sconces—introduce unique patterns and a feeling of timelessness.
- Embrace smart space planning. In a vacation home, devote square footage to gathering areas and the rooms where people spend their waking moments. Minimize sleeping quarters and seldom-used areas.
- Enjoy the seasons. The Carters maximized an enclosed porch by outfitting the windows with screens in summer and storm windows in winter.
- Devise creative cover-ups for systems such as fuse boxes. In the Carter home, an electrical panel is disguised with a hinged mirror.
- Borrow from the best. Revisit styles that remain fresh and inviting century in and century out, such as the cottages of Nantucket, which have weathered both the sea and shifting tides of architectural fashion.