Veggie Burgers that Burst with Flavor (recipe)
Onion, garlic and more garlic make this a memorable meal.
Tasty Veggie Burgers
Black or dark red kidney beans (15.5 oz can)
Light red kidney beans (15.5 oz can)
Large sweet potato (cooked and mashed—about 2 ½ cups)
Large roasted red pepper (skin removed and diced) or roasted pepper in jar
½ small red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large carrot, diced
2½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
1 teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2/3 cup corn (kernels cut from two ears freshly cooked corn or frozen corn)
2 cups brown rice or Nature’s Choice Heritage Grain Blend
1 ½ cups bulgur (cooked) or any other grain
½ cup minced parsley
½ cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon flaxseed, plus
1½ tablespoon water (mixed)
- Rinse and drain black and light red beans and mash well with a potato masher in large bowl.
- Add mashed sweet potatoes and mix with mashed beans.
- Add diced oven-roasted large red pepper (skin removed).
- Add and sauté (5-6 minutes) onion, garlic and carrots. (In the last 10 seconds of sautéing, add ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper,
- ¼ tsp ground red pepper and 2 ½ tsp cumin to onion mixture in pan.)
- Add flaxseed-water mixture, after letting it rest for 3-4 minutes (replaces adding an egg).
- Add corn, all other rice and grains, parsley, rolled oats
- Mix everything well in the large bowl and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Form into 12 patties (about ½ cup, each).