Sweet Potato Chili Recipe
A healthy meal the whole family will enjoy.
This recipe is courtesy of Kristin Blackway and Kelley Koplin, clinical dietitians at Bayhealth Medical Center. It was inspired by www.thehealthymaven.com.
Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups tomato sauce (no sugar added)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey and cook until browned (about 3–4 minutes). Add onions and cook for 3 more minutes.
Add peppers, jalapeño and garlic; cook for another 2 minutes.
Add spices, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans and sweet potato. Bring mixture to a boil.
Once the chili is boiling, lower heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 30–40 minutes, or until desired consistency is reached.