Shrimp Tomato-Spinach Scampi
Try your hand at this delectable seafood dish.
This healthy dish is courtesy of Tracey Sinibaldi, a registered, licensed dietitian, a certified diabetes educator and owner of TKS Nutrition in Middletown. Enjoy.
Shrimp Tomato Spinach Scampi
- ½ pound cooked whole-wheat pasta
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 ½ cup plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- Pepper, to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, if desired
1. Fill a pot with water. Cover and heat over high heat until the water is boiling rapidly. While water is heating, continue with the recipe.
2. Rinse the shrimp with cool water and pat dry with paper towels. Peel and clean the shrimp.
3. When water comes to a rapid boil add pasta. Cook according to box instructions.
4. While pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes. Sauté onion until translucent. Add garlic and stir. Immediately add chopped onion and wine. Stir occasionally while tomatoes render down, approximately 5–7 minutes. Add spinach leaves when there is approximately 1 minute remaining on pasta cooking. Add pepper to taste.
5. Drain pasta, however, maintain approximately 1 cup of pasta water to use for cooking the shrimp.
6. Return pasta water and pot to stove. On high heat, add the shrimp to the remaining pasta water. Cook until shrimp are pink and firm. Do not overcook the shrimp or they will become tough.
7. Toss pasta, shrimp, and tomato/spinach sauce together. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Makes 4 servings
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving
Fat: 9.5 grams
Cholesterol: 170 mg
Sodium: 180 mg
Carbohydrate: 30 grams
Dietary Fiber: 3.6 grams
Protein: 28 grams