William Penn Students Advance to National Culinary Competition
The Delaware Restaurant Association Educational Foundation is hosting a celebratory dinner at Harry’s Savoy Grill.
Back row, from left: Anthony Gregory, instructor Ian Baker, instructor Matthew Vaughan, Shawn Pester. Middle row, from left: DRAEF president Carrie Leishman, Jesus Garcia, Joey Kucharski, Kaitlin Luciano. Front row, from left: Beatriz Ramirez, Taylor Jacobs. Credit: Roy McDowell for the Delaware Restaurant Association.
The Delaware Restaurant Association Educational Foundation is hosting a dinner on Wednesday, April 12, at Harry’s Savoy Grill in Wilmington to recognize Delaware ProStart® students from William Penn High School. The William Penn High School culinary and management teams each won first place at the fifth annual Delaware ProStart Invitational held March 10. William Penn beat 12 other teams from high schools across the state.
Teams participating in the culinary competition had to demonstrate their creative abilities and culinary skills through the preparation of a three-course meal in 60 minutes, using only two butane burners.
The DRAEF dinner on April 12 serves as a fundraiser for the Delaware ProStart Program and to provide travel funding for the William Penn teams competing at the National Invitational in Charleston, S.C.
The DRAEF dinner will feature live-action appetizer stations, followed by a four-course wine dinner for 150 attendees. ProStart students are paired with Delaware celebrity chefs for the event and are involved in all aspects of the event from dish creation to plating and dinner service.
The following students will be recognized during the DRAEF dinner:
- First Place Culinary Team, Delaware ProStart Invitational: Jesus Garcia, Taylor Jacobs, Joey Kucharski, Kaitlin Luciano and Beatriz Ramirez (William Penn High School)
- First Place Management Team, Delaware ProStart Invitational: Anthony Gregory and Shawn Pester (William Penn High School)
- 2017 DRAEF Scholarship Recipient: Krys’tal Griffin (Hodgson Vocational Technical High School)
- 2017 DRAEF Scholarship Recipient: Beatriz Balderas-Ramirez (William Penn High School)
- ProStart Educator of Excellence: Lindsay Baker (Middletown High School)
For more information on the ProStart program and National ProStart Invitational, visit www.chooserestaurants.org/Programs-and-Scholarships/Meet-ProStart.