7 Scrumptious, Satisfying Meals for Beating the Winter Chill at the Beach
Warm up from the inside out.
Lupo Italian Kitchen's short rib mezzaluna ravioli//Photo by Christopher Needham
1. Milton-area residents can counter the cold with one of the many Cajun dishes at Po’ Boys Creole & Fresh Catch. For the ultimate stick-to-your-ribs fare, order the crawfish étouffée and red-beans-and-rice dish with andouille sausage.
The crawfish éTouffée and red-beans-and-rice dish with andouille sausage at Po' Boys Creole & Fresh Catch
2. The Lilly Pulitzer color palette of Kaisy’s Delights might make you think of Miami Beach, but the satisfying goulash—crowded with tender meat and chunky carrots—was made for mid-Atlantic winters. The restaurant, which has Lewes and Rehoboth Beach locations, also serves vegetable soup and hot drinks, including chai lattes. And don’t forget the Kaisy, a unique pancake-like treat, for dessert.
3. Warm up in Rehoboth or Bethany Beach at DiFebo’s Restaurant with cheese lasagna smothered in a Bolognese sauce full of long-simmering flavors. Or opt for Bob’s Sauce, named for the DiFebo family patriarch, whose recipe is also used for the meatballs you can order on the side.
4. In downtown Rehoboth, The Blue Hen's succulent fried chicken is as warming as its accompaniments: honey-hot sauce, bacon-braised collards and a generous helping of pimento-spiked macaroni and cheese.
The Blue Hen's fried chicken//Photo by Pam George
5. At Blackwall Hitch on Rehoboth Avenue, belly up to the handsome bar and ask for a cup of crab soup. It’s brimming with snowy white nuggets, and boasts just the right amount of heat. If your soul needs further soothing on a frigid winter’s night, try the pork osso buco, served on tagliatelle pasta with chive butter and garlic sauce.
6. Lupo Italian Kitchen, also on the avenue, is currently offering short rib mezzaluna ravioli—plump pockets of pasta lolling in a beef broth with colorful vegetables. Pair the sumptuous dish with a silky red from the eatery's award-winning list of all-Italian wines.
7. The blackened fish tacos at Big Fish Grill are sure to brighten your taste buds and raise your core temperature. (The little squiggle of Baja sauce ups the spice quotient, too.) Get one of the savory soups on the side. There are locations in Rehoboth on Route 1 and in Ocean View.
Blackened fish tacos and soup at Big Fish Grill//Photo by Pam George